The Colts Prospect Interviews are still going strong

Home Forums Donor Information The Colts Prospect Interviews are still going strong

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  liny 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

liny
    Participant

after the Combine this last week. Today’s player interview is Eastern Michigan DE Maxx Crosby. The Colts are looking for talented pass rushers…” NFL GeneralColts AnalysisInterviewsColts Prospect Interviews: Eastern Michigan DE Maxx CrosbyNew https://www.coltsfanshop.com/Braden-Smith-Jersey ,9commentsESTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Colts Prospect Interviews: Eastern Michigan DE Maxx CrosbyTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailPhoto by Michael Reaves/Getty ImagesThe Colts Prospect Interviews are still going strong after the Combine this last week. Today’s player interview is Eastern Michigan DE Maxx Crosby. The Colts are looking for talented pass rushers and Crosby fits the bill. The interview will be towards the bottom of the page as we talk about his impressive set of pass rush moves, what makes a great pass rusher, and what it would be like to play with Darius Leonard.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”VxwOgC”>BackgroundSize:6’4” 255 poundsMeasurables: 40 Time: 4.66 / 10-yard split: 1.61 / Vertical Jump: 36 inches / Broad Jump: 122 inches / 3-Cone: 6.89 secondsCareer Stats:162 total tackles, 41 tackles for a loss, 20 sacks, 4 pass deflections, and 8 forced fumblesFit with the Colts:GM Chris Ballard has mentioned multiple times this offseason that the Colts need pass rushers. Rookies Kemoko Turay and Tyquan Lewis were solid in their rookie seasons but the team needs more talented rushers to upgrade the defensive line. If the Colts make a big splash in free agency, adding Crosby in the mid-rounds would also be a wise investment. Crosby has excellent tape where he shows a vast array of pass rush moves. Combine that with a near elite combine and he is a high upside pass rusher who has a ton of room to grow. As a sub-rushing defensive end, he would thrive in the Colts’ scheme.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”WTtvms”>Film RoomThe number one thing we talk about as evaluators is bend in pass rushers. Crosby has some pretty incredible bend in his game.He is also quick enough to run around tackles while also being strong enough to fight through blockers en route to the QB.Long arms with power behind his punch. Crosby is a sack artist going into this draft.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”HAG7dM”>InterviewZH: So how does a legit NFL prospect like you end up at a small school like Eastern Michigan?MC: So out of high school, I only had one division one offer and one offer in total. Coming out of high school, my first three years I was playing middle linebacker and I hit a big growth spurt going into my Senior year. So we got a brand new coaching staff and obviously I wasn’t going to play middle linebacker anymore so my coach moved me to D-End and wanted me to play a little bit of tight end and the rest of history.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”TSzoRy”>ZH: Explain to me what the SAS points were with your defensive line coach at EMU. I’ve read a little bit about it and it sounds like a pretty cool tradition.MC: Oh I can’t tell you. That stays in the defensive line room. <hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”UFblCM”>ZH: (Laughs) Fair enough. Can you at least describe to me the award that was given out each week by your defensive line coach?MC: Yeah it was this little grim reaper, little like figure, and he was put in front of the room and it went to the player who played the nastiest that week and we would all grade it as the dline as we went over the film and everyone would get points after every play, either a half a point or a full point. Whoever ended up with the most points at the end of each game would get the little statue for the whole week. It was awesome.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”l4xjNf”>ZH: After posting 18.5 sacks the last two seasons for EMU, you declared for the draft. What went into that decision to declare early?MC: It wasn’t an easy decision. I had a lot of hard talks and really good talks with my family and coaches and really had to figure out what was best for me. At the end of the day, it wasn’t easy but I felt as if I was ready to take the next step and that is why I ended up declaring.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”KEFFLX”>ZH: You really turned some heads at the combine with your athleticism. How was the whole combine experience for you?MC: It was awesome. It was four and a half days of just constant medicals and all types of interviews and just getting the exposure that I’ve always wanted and it was a really good experience. I loved it but it wasn’t easy at all, it was late nights and early mornings but you are only there for four and a half days so you just gotta soak it up and do everything you can to make the best impression. <hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”MKOrlQ”>ZH: Going to your tape, your hand usage is pretty great. You have a wide array of moves. Is that something you constantly work on or just an area you’ve been good in your whole life?MC: No, so in high school, my senior year was my first year playing dline so you know playing middle linebacker you aren’t really using hands like that. It was something that I was already behind in that aspect and just trying to figure out the position. I’ve just been working super hard in the offseason, putting in all the extra work I needed to get to the level where I thought I could reach and yeah I’ve just been working super hard to get here. <hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”ph9SJ1″>ZH: What is your go-to pass rush move while we are on the topic?MC: I would probably say my double sweep and rip. Yeah that’s my go-to but there is a few others but that is definitely the number one that comes to my head.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”zGPwc0″>ZH: What is the key in your mind to being a great pass rusher? Like what has made you so dominant these past two seasons?MC: Yeah there’s a lot of things that go into it. Play recognition, hand usage, effort, finishing plays— you can get around the QB a bunch and not finish and you’ll never get the recognition even though you are beating tackles. You know its completing the pass rush, finishing off the QB and all that is a huge part of getting the numbers and all that type of stuff. Just being relentless and always having constant effort and being around the ball is super important when getting the sacks.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”Ci5As6″>ZH: What area of your game do you think you need to improve most?MC: My technique definitely needs some tightening up. My footwork in the run game. In college I got a lot of freedom and I kind of got carried away at times trying to do to much and make too many plays. Just tightening up my technique though is the main thing that comes to my mind. I just gotta keep getting stronger, keep working on that and doing everything I can to be the best DE/ OLB I can be.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”67AmkC”>ZH: Who in the NFL do you compare yourself to most/ model your game after?MC: I wouldn’t say there is one specific guy that I try to like be like or anything. I watch a ton of film on NFL guys and the one guy I’d say— from a young age I’ve always been a huge fan of and tried to emulate some of the things he did— is JJ Watt. I love JJ Watt. I also like Chandler Jones and Joey Bosa a ton too. Watching those guys’ film and seeing how consistently they get to the quarterback and cause disruption in the backfield is definitely helpful in watching their film.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”0Kv6nT”>ZH: Which NFL quarterback do you want to sack most once you get into the league?MC: (Laughs) So I’ve been asked that question and everybody says Tom Brady and that is what I initially answered but now…. I’d definitely say Brady is one of them but I think Patrick Mahomes would be another guy I want to get after just because he’s so talented and such a special quarterback. I would love to try take him to the ground as well. <hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”IBRzLX”>ZH: Last question for you. The Colts have preached the need for pass rushers all offseason. They have talented young players like Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker but need more of a pass rush. Do you think that you could step in and fill that need for them on that defense?MC: Absolutely. I hope they dig deeper in the film and recognize what I can do and bring to the table. I would love to get a chance to come to a team who obviously needs pass rushers and I think I’m a guy who a lot of people overlook and I could really come in there and make a difference right off the bat.<hr class=”p-entry-hr” id=”0lhjDH”>ZH: How fun would it be to play with two players like Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker?MC: That would be awesome. Obviously Darius Leonard came from an FCS school and you see him having great success. Some people.. Actually I saw this article when I was browsing the internet Jabaal Sheard Jersey , that somebody said after they drafted him that it was like the worst pick in the draft and he ended up being an absolute animal. I keep that in the back of my head just going through this process, all the noise and outside stuff that people say you just gotta take with a grain of salt and remember why you are here. For me, it would be amazing to play with Malik Hooker, Margus Hunt, all those guys and go out there and show what I can do. INDIANAPOLIS 鈥?Andrew Luck spent three offseasons fighting his way back from injuries. Now he can reap the reward.After returning to the field, making it back to the playoffs, regaining his Pro Bowl form and collecting The Associated Press NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award, a healthy Luck now intends to take a rare and well-deserved break from football.”I’ll be honest, I probably won’t throw for a while,” he said before cleaning out his locker. “There will be tweaks, there will be changes to what I do (this offseason), but all of it is geared to one, make me as happy as possible, and two, set me up to improve as a quarterback and improve as a person.”How Luck will spend his downtime is unclear.Peyton Manning broke the monotony with hunting trips. Brett Favre worked on his ranch. Tom Brady won a Super Bowl after changing last year’s offseason routine to spend more time with his family and less on football. They all learned throwing more balls doesn’t necessarily make a better quarterback.Matt Hasselbeck, a three-time Pro Bowler who backed up Favre and Luck during his 17-year career, became a believer. So after hearing a story about Manning meeting a former U.S. president one offseason, Hasselbeck accepted an offer from assistant coach Clyde Christensen to spend time with a Navy admiral.”He talked to us in our quarterback meeting one day about protecting the football because we’d had some issues and he used this analogy of what they tell Top Gun pilots,” Hasselbeck said. “It was basically that you have this great plane you get to fly and it does not belong to you. It belongs to the government, it belongs to the people. Clyde said we should take the admiral up on spending some time with him. So I did that one offseason.”That’s an example of something that’s not necessarily X’s and O’s, but it’s a form of leadership training or just working on you and if you’re working on you, you’re improving everything about you.”It was a message Hasselbeck relayed to Luck after joining the Colts in 2013. But it was a hard sell to a young workout warrior with the pressure and expectations of a No. 1 draft pick.While Luck enjoyed vacationing in Europe, where he spent part of his childhood reading books, following soccer and riding bikes, the desire to improve drove him to work out.In time, Hasselbeck’s message sank in.”When we were first teammates Pierre Desir Color Rush Jersey , I told him there are going to be some years that are fun and they’re easy and you’re healthy the whole year,” said Hasselbeck, who now works for ESPN. “There’s going to be other years when it’s miserable and you’re dealing with something the whole year and you’re in the training room all the time. You’re there early and you’re there late and you’re in pain and you’re on drugs.”That conversation came up when I was talking about how long I wanted to play. This year we were talking and Andrew said, ‘I remember you saying it and it didn’t make sense then.’ He said now it totally makes sense.”Luck’s good year came with 16 starts for the first time since 2014, producing career highs in completions, attempts and completion percentage. He finished second to Patrick Mahomes in touchdown passes, helped the Colts end a three-year playoff drought and found a better balance between life and football.Still, taking a break won’t be easy.”I don’t think he’s really going to get away,” longtime left tackle Anthony Castonzo said. “I think it’s so cool he’s not going to have to recover from an injury or have to get healthy first. He’ll probably try to get away, but he’s like me 鈥?after a short time you’ve got to find a gym or somewhere to work out because otherwise you feel like garbage.”The difference is the 20-month gap between regular-season games following surgery on a partially torn labrum and three successive injury-plagued offseasons have changed Luck’s perspective.He never missed a chance to explain how much fun he had last season and acknowledged things felt different after a season-ending loss to Kansas City.”In past seasons, there has been a massive emotional letdown 鈥?like now I can try to be a good boyfriend or now I can try to do this and that,” he said. “But it doesn’t seem that way this year. One of my challenges for myself was to maybe not silo everything in my life so much, but be able to exist as a happy human throughout a season, not just after the season. So I don’t have this, I guess, desire to run away and hide for a couple weeks.”Instead, he threw for a week leading up to the Pro Bowl and attended the NFL’s honors banquet last week.Luck hasn’t said if he will work out again at Stanford, his alma mater, but acknowledged he’ll continue to work with Tom House, the former Major League Baseball pitcher who has helped him in the past. But the Colts remain convinced the best prescription for Luck is rest.”He’s got to be fired up right now to have a normal offseason,” coach Frank Reich said. “To get away and I know he’s Andrew 鈥?he’s still going to do his deal and be disciplined 鈥?but just relax. My encouragement to him would be, ‘You better do that, you better take advantage of it.'”97View Gallery Gallery:2018-19 NBA cheerleadersJoe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports | Joe Camporeale

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.